Have you always wanted to write – a novel, a short story, a memoir – but never got beyond the first few pages?
You might have written the book you’ve always dreamed about, but know there’s something about it that doesn’t feel quite right…
Perhaps you feel daunted, nervous to take the first step, scared of failure?
How will you get past your writer’s block?
What if you just want to exercise your creativity in a safe space?
What do you need to write that book you’ve always dreamed of?
Encouragement? Insight into the sorts of techniques that turn a humdrum story into an electrifying narrative?
Our 8-week Creative Writing Course will give you all this and much more. The course, run by Jo-Anne Richards in Cape Town, is designed to provide you with the skills and tools every writer needs to tell your own story. All About Writing will help you realise your dreams.
- Each of the eight face-to-face sessions tackles a key skill and challenges participants with carefully crafted writing exercises, to which we’ll give immediate feedback.
- We’ll post comprehensive course notes in an online group each week. Participants are encouraged to discuss the modules and to interact between sessions.
- As preparation for the course, you will receive a starter pack, which provides you with the tools to find your own unique voice. It includes techniques to fight self-consciousness and develop the skills of active observation through journaling and free writing.
- Before the course starts you will be given a full resource pack on finding and developing creative ideas.
- Should you miss a session you’ll be able to catch up online. You will receive personal constructive feedback from Jo-Anne on your assignment.
Each of the modules tackles a key skill and challenges participants with carefully crafted writing exercises and assignments.
The skills focused on are:
- Finding your Voice
- Ideas: where to find and develop them
- Building characters
- Building the narrative
- Writing scenes
- Point of view
- Writing dialogue
- Beginnings, middles and ends
- Creating suspense
- Showing, not telling
Course designers and facilitators:
Jo-Anne Richards is an internationally published novelist with a PhD in Creative Writing from Wits University. Her novels include The Innocence of Roast Chicken,Touching the Lighthouse,Sad at the Edges, and My Brother’s Book and The Imagined Child. Six of her short stories have been published in collections. She ran the Honours programme and taught writing skills in the Wits University Journalism Department for fifteen years and has supervised in the Wits and Cape Town Creative Writing Masters.
Richard Beynon is a story consultant and an award-winning film and television scriptwriter with a long and accomplished career in the industry. He has written for – or headed the storytelling teams of – many of country’s most popular soaps, dramas and comedies. These include S’gudi snaysi, Going Up, Soul City, Isidingo, Scandal, Rhythm City and Isibaya. He has lectured on writing for film and television at Wits.
Jo-Anne and Richard founded All About Writing in 2007 and offer courses, both online and face-to-face, that promote good writing. They include creative writing and scriptwriting courses, intensive online writing workouts, coaching and mentoring programmes as well as workshops and writing retreats including our annual retreat in Venice, Italy.