The face of publishing has been changed by new enabling technologies that allow authors to reach their audience without having to go the route of signing up with a ‘traditional’ publisher. Authors have swept the bestseller charts with US$99 cent eBooks, innovative marketing plans and new ways of targeting and understanding their audiences.
In this course we’ll look at the ins-and-outs of self-publishing, from creating your work and publishing it via new ‘self-publishing’ platforms to marketing and selling your work.
Who will benefit?
- Anyone in the planning stages of or about to embark on a writing project.
- Writers who are nearing the end of writing a book and are wondering what the next step is.
- Authors who would like to take greater control of their work and what happens to it.
- Introduction: Choosing to self-publish
- Marketing – make the most of your budget and best-practices
- Getting your book ready – how to ensure the highest levels of professionalism and quality of product in self-publishing
- Sales and trends
- Self-publishing tools
Wesley Thompson is a digital publisher interested in new publishing tools, trends and technologies that help authors make their works available to as wide an audience as possible. He works in the South African book-publishing industry and has experience in all aspects of book and eBook production.
Date: Thursday 3 November 2011
Time: 18h00 to 21h30
Venue: Parkview, Johannesburg