How will the weekend work?
We’ll occupy two townhouses on Sheep Street in Stow, Benfield and Number Ten, offering single or double rooms. The weekend will be co-hosted by All About Writing and Lindy Price, owner of Benfield.
The idea is that you book in from 4:30pm on the afternoon of Friday 21 September. We’ll meet at 6:00pm for a drink and supper (with an introductory chat about story and a writing exercise thrown in).
Saturday will be a little bit of “theory”, a dash of brainstorming – and writing (with feedback) all the way, with a break for lunch in the town which offers an opportunity for a writing exercise on the hoof. In the evening, we’ll repair to a local hostelry for a festive writers’ dinner.
For Sunday, rinse and repeat, with lunch and a final exercise before we cast off our writers’ mantles (if that’s possible after 48 hours of creative excitement) and scatter.
Writers coming to Stow can either follow a route mapped out for them, or can choose to work with a seasoned story consultant on their own projects.
He is Richard Beynon, a story consultant and scriptwriter with more than a thousand television daily drama scripts to his credit. “I’ve been passionate about story since I read The Castle of Adventure as an eight-year-old,” he says, “and have spent much of the last thirty years devising, shaping and reshaping story, and helping others tell their stories.”
He is available to work with writers in Stow as they assess existing and brainstorm future narrative.
Who should attend?
- Anyone who would like to hone their writing craft with intensive discussion, writing exercises and feedback.
- Writers of fiction and non-fiction, whether for the page or for the screen, looking to sharpen their story skills.
- Writers working on existing projects who need words of encouragement or help in untangling a snag they’ve encountered.
- Those who would like to develop their creativity in beautiful surroundings in the company of a like-minded group.
- Those who would like to kickstart their writing or get back into it with a bang.