* You will develop a daily writing discipline in a safe space in which every writer and would-be writer can feel free to experiment.
* You’ll learn why story is the basis for whatever you write: fiction or non-fiction, for page or screen.
* You’ll gain an understanding of the logic of story which in turn will give you the confidence of knowing exactly where you’re going.
* You’ll learn why story is the foundation without which writing can flounder and lack focus, which is the reason so many writers get stuck.
* A short module every day that will interrogate different aspects of writing necessary for building a story
* Daily writing exercises (on ten days) designed to be done in thirty minutes.
* Two assignments (one at the end of each week) which will bring together and entrench all you’ve learnt.
* Two live hour-long webinars, in which participants can ask questions and discuss issues which may have arisen during the week.
* Honest, but kind written feedback and coaching on the ten exercises and the two assignments. We’ll tell you what works and how to improve.
I got exactly what I wanted out of it, I got a confidence boost, a different way of approaching my writing. The thing I loved was the full, personalised feedback on a couple of my pieces, the advantage of having your own editor. You guys have put in a great deal of time and effort, providing detailed feedback. – Chantel Venter
I found the assignments the right kind of challenging. Instructions were clear. Feedback appropriate and so conscientiously attended to. I gained knowledge, understanding, and it added immeasurably to the quality of my learning to have particularly this instruction, the feedback and the audience. I loved being able to read the creations of the other participants and learn from their feedback. I was thrilled with the subtle and indirect tidbits of feedback I uncovered, which apply and applied to my writing. – Brenda Wollnick
As always, it was a very positive experience. I needed the workout to kick-start me into my next project, and it’s done exactly that. I’m back on the page, free-writing ideas furiously. R&J handled me with their usual care and patience. – Frankie Francis
Jo-Anne Richards is an internationally published novelist with a PhD in Creative Writing from Wits University. Her first novel, The Innocence of Roast Chicken, was originally published by Headline Review in the UK, and has recently been rereleased as one of the prestigious Picador Africa Classics collection. She ran the Honours programme in Journalism & Media Studies at Wits University for fifteen years.
Richard Beynon is a story consultant and an award-winning film and television scriptwriter with a long and accomplished career in the film and television industry. He has written for – or headed the storytelling teams of – many of country’s most popular soaps, dramas and comedies. These include S’gudi snaysi, Going Up, Soul City, Isidingo, Scandal, Rhythm City and Isibaya. He has lectured on writing for film and television at Wits.
All About Writing was founded in 2007 by novelist Jo-Anne Richards, story consultant and scriptwriter Richard Beynon, and Trish Urquhart. We are passionate about writing and have devised our courses to help communicate that passion – plus the skills that make it all much more than an academic exercise – to others with a similar calling.