Win a free writing assessment with our December/January Flash Fiction Challenge
All About Writing’s latest writing challenge offers the winner a literary assessment on 5000 words of writing worth R 2750 / £ 150 or a voucher to the same value to use on one of our courses or programmes.
Write a scene in which two older siblings play with a six-month-old new brother or sister. Their interactions – including their dialogue – give us clues about the relationship which will develop between these children. No adults are present in this scene.
Write no more than 250 words. Submit your entry via email by midnight on 31 January 2022.
- This is an exercise in showing, rather than telling.
- Present us with the smallest clues about, for instance, dominance, love, tolerance, jealousy etc
- Use no “telling” words at all, like dominance, love, tolerance, jealousy etc.
- Writing from the perspective of a child, try to use something of their “voice” – the way they see the world, their vocabulary, the kind of images they would use.
- Don’t be too obvious. Always be subtle.