Win a free writing assessment with our August/September Flash Fiction Challenge
All About Writing’s latest flash fiction challenge offers the winner a literary assessment on 5000 words of writing worth R 2750 / £ 150 or a voucher to the same value to use on one of our courses or programmes.
Write a scene in which a long-held secret is revealed. Show us the consequences of this revelation and your character’s responses to it.
Write no more than 250 words. Submit your entry here or paste your entry into the form below by midnight on 30 September 2022.
- Character drives story. The main character you choose and the way they act will determine the story.
- The way your character sees the world, and other characters, will show us more about them and what kind of person they are.
- Don’t give us an objective account of the revelation but rather your character’s perception of it.
- Write small to show large. Don’t write about large events or many characters. Show us a small number of characters and what happens to them.
- If your story revolves around a conversation or discussion, remember to give your characters something to do. It’s more interesting than ping pong dialogue, and you can tell a lot about people and how they feel from the way they do something.