Win a free writing assessment with our October/November Flash Fiction Challenge
All About Writing’s latest writing challenge offers the winner a literary assessment on 5000 words of writing worth R 2750 / £ 150 or a voucher to the same value to use on one of our courses or programmes.
Write a lyrical description of someone or something, but somewhere within it, give us, your readers, a disquieting detail that suggests all is not well in this best of all possible worlds. Your character, for instance, has just started a new job. This new environment, with its new colleagues, is exciting and promises to give her everything she hoped for. But… something is just out of kilter. Your character may not have the slightest reservation at this stage.
Write no more than 250 words. Submit your entry here or paste your entry into the form below by midnight on 30 November 2021.
- Try not to be obvious or “on the nose”.
- Remember that readers are clever at interpreting the slightest clues.
- Your character can notice a clue without necessarily interpreting it correctly in their own mind.
- The way a character views a person or place shows us more about them and their state of mind.
- Think about who your character is and what they want (preferably badly) at the start of this scene. This will determine not only how they act, but also the way they’re likely to see their environment.
P.S. Our flagship Creative Writing Course will give you all you’ve ever needed to help you create and show characters on the page, and how details can transform a piece of writing.